B1539 Hunter's Plains Homestead Parish Lane Corryong
Statement of Significance
Last updated on - October 3, 2006
Hunters Plains' Station was established c. 1869 by Hugh Harris who pioneered settlement in this area of Victoria. The homestead is a simple rectangular structure with an encircling verandah and a wide, low, half gabled roof. It incorporates the original stone dwelling erected by Harris c. 1870. Brick additions were undertaken in 1922 which brought the homestead to its present appearnace. The architect-contractor was Albert Hogan of Tumut.
Hunters Plains' was one of the first stations in this area. It is notable for its association with Hugh Harris who pioneered the area and bacame a well-known public figure. Parts of the present homestead and stables date from Harris' time. The homestead is typical of vernacular Australian design with its hipped roof and encircling verandahs. Its walls of locally hewn stone are a notable feature.
Few alterations have been made to the house since 1922.
Of local significance.