All user contributions - ST JAMES OLD CATHEDRAL
Reasons for Inclusion of bells in Statement of Significance
William Cook • 21/05/18
Six bells were first rung in early 1853 and now eight are still rung. They were symbolic of the growing status of Melbourne. They are an integral part of the Church fabric - tenor of 13cwt and total bell metal weight of 3 tons designed for English style full circle ringing. They were responsible for the redesign of the tower on relocation in 1913. They contribute to the outreach of the Church into the community and add to its cultural life such as weddings, funerals, public occasions.