The semi-detached house at 24 Lonsdale Street, South Geelong, has significance as one of few semi-detached Late Victorian Italianate styled houses in Geelong. Built between 1893 and 1896 for Samuel Law, the house is largely externally intact and in good condition when viewed from the street. This house also neighbours a detached house of identical design and construction, forming an unusual residential grouping.
The semi-detached house at 24 Lonsdale Street is architecturally significant at a LOCAL level. It demonstrates original design qualities of a Late Victorian Italianate style. These qualities include the hipped roof forms and the return bullnosed verandah. Other intact or appropriate qualities include the asymmetrical composition, single storey height, corrugated profile to the roof cladding, pressed red brick wall construction, three pressed red brick and strapped chimneys with terra cotta pots, narrow eaves with decorative timber brackets and incised rectangular panels, timber framed double hung windows with shallow arched heads accentuated by brick voussoirs, timber framed doorway with sidelights and highlights, cast iron finial on the roof ridge, cast iron verandah columns with decorative capitals and the decorative cast iron verandah valances. The significance of the place also relies on the retention of the neighbouring semi-detached and detached houses of identical design and construction.
The semi-detached house at 24 Lonsdale Street is historically significant at a LOCAL level. It is associated with residential developments in South Geelong in the late 19th century. In particular, this house has associations with Samuel Law, original owner from 1893-96, and Robert Wilson Hill, local engineer and original occupant. The house also represents one of the few 19th century town houses in South Geelong.
Overall, the semi-detached house 24 Lonsdale Street is of LOCAL significance.