This red brick Court House which was designed by J B Cohen, an architect in the Public Works Department, was built by Swanson Bros. and opened in 1900. It is very similar in plan and architectural style to the Yarram Court House which was designed in 1907 by the same architect. The high octagonal Court Room which has clerestory windows and a steeply pitched hipped roof (formerly slate), is surrounded by ancillary offices with a prominent entrance porch and door with a leadlight over. The glazing and cladding of the verandahs are not included.
The whole composition is an unusual example of Edwardian period architecture.