The Harrisons Cut Gold Diversion Site is a 50 metre diversion which was probably excavated in the early 1880s. The name Harrison has strong connections with the Crooked River-Dargo goldfield from 1879-84. The cutting was used to divert the waters of the Dargo River effectively cutting off a long section of the original river. The dry river bed would have been extensively mined.
The Harrisons Cut Gold Diversion Site is of historical, and scientific importance to the State of Victoria.
The Harrisons Cut Gold Diversion Site is historically and scientifically important as a characteristic and well preserved example of an early form of gold mining. Gold mining sites are of crucial importance for the pivotal role they have played since 1851 in the development of Victoria. Water diversion and sluicing are important key ingredients in an understanding of gold mining technology as it was employed in mountainous country where water was plentiful and perennial.
Heritage Inventory History of Site: The Dargo River was worked by alluvial miners as early as the 1850s, but the first rush occurred in 1862 in the vicinity of Dargo township. The following year, the Upper Dargo (in the now Alpine National Park) was rushed, and that part of the river remained the focus of alluvial—and later quartz—workings for years to come. In 1869, alluvial miners (mainly Chinese) were again shifting their attention to the Lower Dargo river. The Middle Dargo was rushed in 1880, and was worked—along with the rest of the Dargo and the Wentworth—with fair success throughout the eighties. Several claims on the Middle Dargo were reported as giving very good yields in 1885, and in 1886 'Antonio and mate' won 40 oz in six weeks from their claim on that part of the river.No record was found of Harrison's Cut or any undertaking of its kind. Its position would probably qualify as the Middle Dargo, therefore suggesting a construction date in the 1880s. Nothing is known of the name's origin, but the name Harrison has strong connections with the area. Edward Harrison was mining registrar for the Crooked River–Dargo goldfield from 1879-84, after which (his brother?) Henry Harrison took over. Henry Harrison was also a storekeeper and mine-owner, and one of the last residents of Grant.
Diversion sluice formed by a 20ft deep, 8ft wide, 150ft long channel cut through a narrow spur. River flows through the diversion, creating a small waterfall.
Heritage Inventory Significance: RegionalScientific significanceùas a rare type of site: ie., a well-preserved and accessible diversion sluice.Social valueùas a popular recreation and scenic spot.
Heritage Inventory Site Features: The 'Harrison's Cut' diversion sluice is formed by a 20ft-deep, 8ft-wide, 150ft-long channel cut through a narrow spur. The river now flows through the diversion, creating a small waterfall. The site is a popular recreation and scenic location.