TINTALDRA GENERAL STORE AND FORMER BAKERY SOHE 2008
Statement of Significance
Last updated on - July 1, 1999
The Tintaldra General Store and Former Bakery is a largely intact building, built in 1864 and extended in 1928. The original section was built of timber by Edwin Jephcott for Sydney Grandison Watson, and has operated continuously as a store since then. The property has represented the social and commercial centre of the surrounding district for 125 years. In summary, the Tintaldra General Store and Former Bakery is of architectural and historical significance for the following reasons:
(1) the Tintaldra General Store is largely intact and an evocative example of early rural vernacular building design.
(2) it has been in continuous use as a general store in the same building with few alterations since it was first opened in 1864, representing the social and commercial centre of the surrounding district for 125 years.