Contextual History:History of Place:
Heritage Inventory History of Site:
GREAT EASTERN or OLD 40 CO., on Warrens Lead
19.03.1859: started June 1857; claims 37 to 43; only claim that has steadily worked; shafts is 180 feet; has the strongest engine on the lead of 10 hp, which would give 15hp if boiler was of sufficient size; this engine works the pipes and pumps at the hole, draws up all the dirt, works another set of pumps for the back water for the sluices and also the fanner; the wash is sluiced daily; and the water for sluicing is contained in a reservoir covering 1 acre, which was constructed by the company; the claim will probably not be worked out for two years.
06.1859: first place where igneous rock, which increases in thickness toward the south, is found; has a claim under the frontage system; the only mine on this lead to be obtaining returns sufficient to pay wages.
07.1859: tolerably fair returns.
08.1859: fair returns.
01.1860: doing well; dividends from £5 to £10 per man per week.
05.1860: company has dissolved; their overall results areas follows: first gold was obtained on 10 th July 1858, up to 19 th May 1860 yield was 3624 ozs 19 dwt 10 grs valued at £12,393 8s 2d; the 40 shareholders each paid £34 in calls so they each received £275 16s for a period of 27 months; this claim is justly regarded as the best paying on Warren's Lead.
14.07.1860; has been abandoned for several weeks; the total amount of gold that came out of the claim was 3624 ozs.
02.02.1861: unoccupied at present.
Site 122.08 is an undisturbed mullock heap 25m by 15m by 4m high, south west of what appears to be a small dam. On the north east side of the dam there is a small quartz wash heap 20m by 5m. North of the wash is a large dry dam 40m by 40m./nThere are several other workings throughout this paddock to the north and north east of this site.