Contextual History:History of Place:
Heritage Inventory History of Site:
22.09.1858: Fraser’s Hill Sluicing Co. held a meeting in Campbell’s Hotel and discussed whether preliminary works should be let on contract or be done by hired labour; this matter was left to the committee to decide.
28.12.1895: E. Hore reported to be sluicing the hill.
Large sections of the hill have been sluiced away leaving a narrow strip of land running north south along the top of the hill with deep cuttings on either side. On the west side leading up to the cutting the ground is riddled with shallow alluvial sinkings giving a hummock appearance amongst the regrowth eucalypt forest. The cutting on the west side of the hill is 6m to 8m deep approximately 100m long and 50m wide. On the east side of the hill the whole top of the hill has been sluiced away leaving a level bench with vertical cliffs up to 12-15m high. The cut on the east side is approximately 150m long by 50m wide. The cuttings are larger than either Surface Hill or Argyle Hill, and do not have the deserted, unaltered appearance of those places. The cliffs are approximately the same height as those at Watsons Hill but the cutting does not cover as great an area. There appear to have been recent gravel extractions from parts of this site. At Watson Hill the gravel extraction does not greatly interfere with the site because the site is so large. There is a line of quartz wash running through the cutting on the west side of the hill, but this does not have the untouched appearance of the stacks at either Surface Hill or Argyle Hill.