Apex Park Anti-Aircraft Gun
Glendinning Street and Stirling Street BALMORAL, Southern Grampians Shire
Statement of Significance
The Apex Park is located at the junction of Stirling and Glendinning Streets in the centre of the township of Balmoral. It is the site of the earliest Hotel in Balmoral, dating from 1851. This Hotel was known as the Squatter's Arms Hotel (also known as Davidson's Hotel and Lang's Hotel). The Apex park has several important objects within it, including the Billis water trough to the far north of the site and the MK11 anti-aircraft gun located on the east of the site facing Stirling Street.
How is it significant?
The Apex Park, Balmoral is of social, archaeological and historical significance to the township of Balmoral and the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
The Apex Park is of historical significance to the township of Balmoral as it was the site of the earliest and perhaps most important Hotel in Balmoral. It is historically significant for its associations with individuals such as Davidson and Lang who owned the Hotel at subsequent periods and were important local people. It has historical importance for its location at the junction of the two main roads which have intersected Balmoral from the 1840s, the roads to Adelaide and Hamilton. The objects within the Park are also historically important. The Billis Horse Trough is associated with the important philanthropist Billis who donated 70 000 horse troughs throughout Australia to improve the plight of horses in the street. On another level, Billis' horse troughs are historically important as a representative object of a past way of life where animals were the main method of transport.
The MK11 anti aircraft gun is historically important as a reminder of the part Australia and Australians played in World War Two. The gun is historically and socially important as it was donated to the community by the Returned Soldiers League as a reminder of those that served and fell in World War Two. The fact that this gun was used to defend Australia when under attack in 1942-1943 makes the gun more important as a part of our history.
The Apex Park is of archaeological significance for any physical fabric which may remain of the former Hotel.
The Apex Park is important socially as it demonstrates members of a community working together for a common good.
Apex Park Anti-Aircraft Gun - Physical Conditions
Apex Park Anti-Aircraft Gun - Physical Description 1
Apex Park is a large roughly square site in the centre of Balmoral. It is located on the junction of Glendinning and Stirling Streets, the extension of which are the roads to Adelaide and Hamilton. The Park is planted with low native shrubs set in beds surrounded by timber restraints. The whole area is covered in mown turf. There are several objects within the park, including a Billis Horse Trough in the northern corner and an MK 11 anti aircraft gun used in Darwin in the Second World War is situated on the southern boundary of the park. There is a rustic shadehouse in the centre of the park constructed from local timbers with ferns inside it.
Apex Park Anti-Aircraft Gun - Historical Australian Themes
Theme 3: Developing local, regional and national economies
3.8.7 Building and maintaining roads
3.22 Lodging people
3.23 Catering for tourists
Theme 8: Developing Australia's Cultural Life
8.1 Organising recreation
8.1.13 Developing public parks and gardens
8.8 Remembering the fallen
Apex Park Anti-Aircraft Gun - Usage/Former Usage
Apex Park Anti-Aircraft Gun - Integrity
one as the former hotel site
Apex Park Anti-Aircraft Gun - Physical Description 2
J.J. Watson - first owner
Mr. Davidson - first proprietor of the hotel (The Squatters Arms Hotel)
John Lang - second proprietor of the hotel (Lang's Hotel)
Apex Park Anti-Aircraft Gun - Veterans Description for Public
Apex Park is a large roughly square site in the centre of Balmoral. It is located on the junction of Glendinning and Stirling Streets, the extension of which are the roads to Adelaide and Hamilton. Located along the southern boundary of the park is an MK 11 anti-aircraft gun used in Darwin between 1942 and 1943. In 1985, the Second World War gun, of a type first produced in 1938, was donated by the Balmoral RSL. It was made in Canada by G.E. Co. in 1940.
Heritage Study and Grading
Southern Grampians - Southern Grampians Shire Heritage Study
Author: Timothy Hubbard P/L, Annabel Neylon