Explosives Factory Maribyrnong is of national historical, architectural, social and technical significance as the key installation in a network of defence factories which made Maribyrnong the Arsenal of Australia from 1910 to the 1980s. Along with the Government Clothing Factory, Woollen Mills , Lithgow SMall Arms Factory, the Explosives Factory demonstrates the newly arrived independence of the Federated Australia. EFM was critical in the establishment of defence industries in Australia making it one of the most important outcomes of Federation effecting defence and foreign policy in the 20th century. (Criterion C2) While perceived foreign threats encouraged armament the new Federal Government sought to ensure self-sufficiency in supplies for the armed forces. (Criterion A4) As one of the largest single employers in Victoria, EFM has effected the lives of thousands of people employed in peace and war time. (Criterion G1) Apart from Nobel's commercial explosives factoru in Deer Park, explosives and propellants for military use were not being made. Therefore the EFM represents the beginnings of a new technology in Australia, imported and adapted from foreign models, particularly British factories in the homeland and colonies. EFM displays cultural value for its range of buildings and landscape specifically adapted to explosives production.
The retention of some of the original processes and equipment when private industry has updated and refitted, has left Maribyrnong with a significant legacy of an historical manufacturing technology. (Criterion B2) The technical and manufacturing activities at EFM have been in the forefront of scientific materials research from its inception early this century.
(Criterion F1) A considerable documentary and archival collection relating top the munitions industry still survives on site, in conjunction with other material held by the Defence Department Archives and Australian Archives, which contributes to the social and historical value of the site. The landscape of the site with its many mature exotic trees and remnant garden beds also contributes to the character and aesthetic values of the site.