What is significant? The Glenroy Public Hall, originally constructed in 1928 and extensively altered and remodelled in 1963-65, at 5 Cromwell Street, Glenroy. The external form, style, materials, detailing and the intactness of the Hall to the 1965 remodelling is integral to the significance of this place.
Alterations and additions dating from after 1965 and other buildings on this site are not significant.
How is it significant? The Glenroy Public Hall is of local historic and social significance to Moreland City.
Why is it significant? It is historically and socially significant as a place that has played an important role in community life in Glenroy since the 1920s. It is a representative example of the small suburban halls erected by communities throughout Moreland in the early to mid-twentieth century that provided a place for people to meet and socialise. The alterations and additions made to the Hall in the early 1960s provide tangible evidence of the development of Glenroy in the post-war era and the resultant need to improve the facility to meet the needs of the growing community. (Criteria A, D & G)