Statement of Significance
What is significant?
The Ballarat Botanical Gardens, gazetted in 1857 and developed from 1858 on the old Police paddock site, is an outstanding example of a botanical garden. The large 40 hectare site is bounded by Lake Wendouree (originally Yuille's Swamp) to the east, the northern extension of St Aiden's Drive, The Boulevarde, Gregory Street, Gillies Street and Carlton Street along the south. Although the area between Wendouree Parade and the lake is considered to be part of the lake surrounds, this section is integral to the gardens and was included in the original 1885 reservation. This site is part of the traditional land of the Wathaurung people now known as the Wadawurrung..
In 1858 a design competition was won by Messrs Wright and Armstrong and the inaugural curator, George Longley, was appointed to implement the planswith early plant materials supplied by Baron von Mueller from the Melbourne Botanic Gardens and by Daniel Bunce from the Geelong Botanic Gardens. The main entrance on Wendouree Parade features the ornate cast ironwork Morey gates (1894) with timber pergola (1934) and two marble lions (c1894) either side of the path leading to the statue of Scottish hero Sir William Wallace (1888). The south-eastern McDonald gates (1921) feature a semi-circular form and ionic colonnade.
The site is divided into three distinct sections: the central botanic gardens and two areas of open parkland known as the north and south gardens with a pair of remnant bluestone gateposts marking the original entrances at either end of Wendouree Parade. The strong linear design of the central garden features four main north-south axes: Wendouree Parade, the Giant Redwood Avenue (Sequoiadendron gianteum) planted 1863-1874, the avenue of Horse Chestnuts (Aesculus hippocastanum) accommodating the Prime Ministers' Avenue (1940 -present) and a path along the western boundary.
By 1862 the first maze was built, but later removed, close to the site of the first fernery (1887), which after several alterations and additions, is still an outstanding feature of the gardens and enhanced by an adjacent water lily pond (1916). With the donation in 1884 by local stockbroker Thomas Stoddart of twelve Italian marble statues located throughout the gardens, and the construction in 1887 of the Statuary Pavilion to house the 'Flight from Pompeii' and four accompanying statues donated by James Thompson, the Botanical Gardens became a centrepiece of civic pride for Ballarat. From 1889 tuberose begonias were introduced into displays, beginning a tradition highlighted by the annual begonia festival from 1953 until the present.
Developments catering for increasing tourism adjacent to the lake shore included the Lake Lodge (1891) for refreshments, adjacent cannons, Almeida Pavilion (1907) housing amusement machines and shelters such as the Picnic shelter (c1910) and replacement bandstand (1921). 'Fairyland' a wooded grove with bridges, ponds and walks on the western shore of Lake Wendouree, became a popular feature and a zoological section (1915-1959), replacing an earlier menagerie, was established in the northern gardens with the Adam Lindsay Gordon Cottage relocated nearby in 1934. Large and small bequests continued to enhance the gardens in the twentieth century such as the sundial (1912), avenue of Prime Ministers' busts (1940- ), and the Robert Clark Conservatory and Horticultural Centre (1995). The Ballarat Botanical Gardens retain an exceptional collection of conifer and exotic deciduous trees and a tradition of bedding and floral displays, a fernery and potted plants.
Other additions to the northern gardens included a Pavilion (1904), Sound Shell (1962), and a Wetland (2001). The boundary between the southern gardens and the main botanical gardens is marked by the old display glass house (1972), the Ballarat Fish Acclimatisation Society's trout hatchery (1873) and the Ballarat Vintage Tramway Museum. The extensive Australian Ex-Prisoner of War Memorial to honour 35,000 soldiers was constructed in 2004 adjacent to Carlton Street.
How is it significant?
Ballarat Botanical Gardens are of historical, scientific, aesthetic, and social significance to the state of Victoria.
Why is it significant?The Ballarat Botanical Gardens are of historical significance as one of the best examples of a botanic garden in Victoria. Developed from 1858, they retain typical characteristics of the nineteenth century gardenesque style such as a remnant path layout, open lawn areas planted with mature specimen trees, formal avenues, bedding displays, horticultural buildings such as the fernery and conservatory, embellishments such as garden buildings, Lake Lodge, picnic shelters, fountains and statues, and a location in proximity to a township developed during the mid-nineteenth century.
The Ballarat Botanical Gardens are of historical significance for the association with Baron von Mueller who supplied initial plant materials from the Melbourne Botanic Gardens.
The Ballarat Botanical Gardens are of historical significance for the 1887 octagonal Statuary Pavilion, designed by local architect T.E. Molloy, one of the oldest surviving structures in the gardens. Featuring a segmented domed roof with top-lit central lantern, it continues to house the 'Flight from Pompeii' statue and four other statues.
The Ballarat Botanical Gardens are of scientific significance for the collection of cool climate plants and outstanding mature significant trees, especially conifers and deciduous trees which include some of the largest and rarest trees in Victoria. The Gardens also hold an important collection of elm species and cultivars. This includes the largest Exeter Elm (Ulmus glabra 'Exoniensis'), and rarely cultivated in Victoria, two rare Ulmus x hollandica 'Wredei', a large Horizontal Elm (Ulmus glabra 'Pendula'), and English Elm (Ulmus procera), Dutch Elm (Ulmus x hollandica), Weeping Elm (Ulmus glabra 'Camperdownii'), Golden Elm (Ulmus glabra 'Lutescens'), Chinese Elm (Ulmus parvifolia) and a young American Elm (Ulmus Americana). Other significant trees are the Sierra or Giant Redwoods, (Sequoiadendron giganteum) planted soon after the species was introduced into Victoria, Horse Chestnuts (Aesculus hippocastanum), English or Field Maple (Acer campestre) Bunya Bunya Pine (Araucaria bidwillii), Tasmanian Blue Gum, (Eucalyptus globulus subsp. globulus), Weeping Ash (Fraxinus excelsior 'Pendula'), Sitka Spruce (Picea sitchensis), Norway Spruce (Picea abies), Western Yellow Pine, (Pinus ponderosa), Turkey Oak, (Quercus cerris), English Oak (Quercus robur), Coast Redwood (Sequoia sempirvirens) and Swamp or Bald Cypress (Taxodium distichum).
The Ballarat Botanical Gardens are of scientific significance for the close link with the acclimatisation and zoological gardens movement demonstrated by the earlier menagerie and zoo sections, of which remnant cages remain, and the continuous activities since 1873 of the Ballarat Fish Acclimatisation Society, the oldest in Victoria.
The Ballarat Botanical Gardens are of aesthetic significance for the mature avenues which enhance the linear layout of the gardens, particularly the Giant Redwood (Sequoiadendron giganteum), the Horse Chestnut (Aesculus hippocastanum) and English Oak (Quercus robur) avenues.
The extensive collection of statues is also of aesthetic significance as they are a major feature and focal point in the design of the gardens set among colourful bedding displays. These include the five within the Statuary Pavilion, the twelve statues in the Stoddart collection scattered around the gardens, the twenty-six busts along Prime Ministers' Walk and several other single statues such as Sir William Wallace close to the main entrance gates.
The Ballarat Botanical Gardens are of aesthetic significance for the setting adjacent to Lake Wendouree and the relatively open areas to the north and south which act as a buffer to the central area of the gardens. This setting also provides contributory views from, and vistas within the gardens, as well as making a significant contribution to the broader Lake Wendouree landscape.
The Ballarat Botanical Gardens are of social significance as one of Victoria's best known and most visited regional botanic gardens, enhanced by events such as the Begonia Festival (since 1953). The location adjacent to Lake Wendouree provides a strong recreational link with the surrounding foreshore areas and, since the 1870s, has been a popular place for leisure activities for locals and visitors.
The Ballarat Botanical Gardens are of social significance as a reflection of the civic pride and prosperity of Ballarat, originally derived from the gold rush, particularly expressed through bequests such the Stoddart bequest (twelve sculptures), the Thompson bequest (statuary Pavilion and five statues), McDonald bequest, (bandstand, entrance gates and pergola) and the Robert Clark Conservatory and Horticultural Centre.
BALLARAT BOTANICAL GARDENS - History
A very detailed history is contained in the Ballarat Botanical Gardens: Conservation Analysis and Policy Vols 1 & 2, Allom Lovell/John Patrick 1994 which together with the Ballarat Botanical Gardens - Classification Report National Trust G13057 by Richard Aitken forms the basis of this summary.
Ballarat Botanical Gardens, Masterplan and Management Strategy, John Patrick Pty Ltd, 1995.
Oxford Companion to Australian Gardens, R Aitken & M Looker, Oxford University Press, Australian Garden History Society, South Melbourne, Vic., 2002
Lucky Country, Westin Bate MUP 1978.
Brochures from the Ballarat Botanic Gardens
From the mid nineteenth century, fuelled by the gold rush and colonial government polices, Victoria developed a tradition of botanic gardens in many of the larger country towns. This resulted in Victoria having the finest collection of regional botanical gardens of all Australian states. Most developed as landscaped gardens providing a sharp contrast with various municipal parks and gardens where an emphasis on floral displays and ornamentation tended to dominate, especially in the twentieth century
While some of the regional botanic gardens experienced a period of decline, eg Camperdown and Koroit, Ballarat has been maintained consistently at a high level. From the start the Council has continued to provide substantial funding to enable the development of attractions such as the Zoo, Fernery, Glasshouses, the Maze and the Pavilions which was enhanced by wealthy citizens making bequests and donations.
In the early twentieth century, Ballarat was forced to adjust to a new set of circumstances as the city pioneers had died, its most important factories closed and there was a decline in mining. To retain Ballarat's position as one of Victoria's prominent regional towns, influential residents and groups promoted other features of the city to use tourism as a way of continuing prosperity.
HISTORY OF PLACE
1856 Grant of land requested for botanic gardens by newly constituted Municipal Council of Ballarat.
1857 An area of 102 acres (43 ha) was gazetted as a botanic gardens reserve. Located on the west side of Yuille's Swamp, this area was previously used as a police paddock. The swamp later became Lake Wendouree and Wendouree Parade was constructed c1858.
1858 A competition for the design of the gardens was won by Messrs Wright and Armstrong and the inaugural curator, George Longley, was appointed.
1859 Description of gardens on 29 November in Ballarat Miner reports seven acres (of an estimated sixty) fenced, some planting but progress slow.
1860 Some plants supplied from Melbourne Botanic Gardens, where Baron Von Mueller was Curator, and also from Geelong Botanic Gardens.
1862 First maze built in vicinity of the later Conservatory, new maze constructed in northern gardens in 1888, rejuvenated in 1922 and removed in the late 1950s with some remnant cages remaining.
1863 Grant of £1,000 from Victorian government and liberal funding from municipal council ensured progress of gardens. Two gate lodges constructed (northern one occupied by Curator Longley and the southern one by the gate keeper and swamp ranger).
1867 Residence constructed in gardens and watch house (tower) constructed in the maze.
1868 Plan of gardens
1873 'Plan showing proposed improvements to Lake Wendouree' drawn up based of 1868 plan.
1873 Pond constructed for Ballarat Fish Acclimatisation Society (established 1870) in southern part of gardens; Menagerie developed (on site of present Lake Lodge) with potential to be a main attraction of the gardens, but defunct by turn of the century.
1873 Visit by Viator (a reporter from the Australasian) who was critical of Lake Wendouree and curious about the philosophy of the gardens.
1877 First stage of fernery constructed; many additions in later years.
1884 Twelve marble statues, depicting classical and allegorical themes, were purchased by Thomas Stoddart at Carrara in Italy for over £2,000. These were the first works of art erected in the gardens.
1885 Permanent reservation of 98 acres for Botanic and Public Gardens Reserve; official allocation for Ballarat Fish Acclimatisation Society, new ponds constructed in the following decades.
c1887 Horse tramline extended to Gardens along Wendouree Parade. Electrified 1904-05 and re-laid in 1936 when the tracks were shifted about 0.5 metes closer to the lakeside making a wider carriageway.
1887 Statuary pavilion erected to house a collection of statues purchased in Italy with a bequest from James Russell Thompson. The central statue 'Flight from Pompeii' (designed by Professor Carlo Benzoni and carved by Charles Francis Summers), has four accompanying statues 'Susannah', 'Ruth', 'Rebecca' and 'Modesty' (designed and carved by Charles Francis Summers). The octagonal pavilion designed by T. E. Malloy, is unusual for its top-lit central lantern and curved roofs enabling the statues to be seen to their best advantage in natural light.
1889 Sir Walter Wallace statue, sculpted by Percival Ball and funded by James Russell Thomson bequest, erected near main entrance.
1889 Earliest record of tuberous begonias being potted in Ballarat botanic gardens.
1890 Claxton Memorial erected to recognise the work and dedication of Frederick Moses Claxton, (Mayor 1872-77) in the gardens and the lake which were his 'pet hobby'.
1891 Lake Lodge constructed on lake shore as a refreshment room to eliminate debris left by picnickers. The competition to design a building that was both 'ornamental and utilitarian' was won by local architect WH Piper. Now the Lake Pavilion restaurant and function room.
1894 Morey Gates donated by Councillor Hon. Morey MLC; altered in 1939 by addition of pergola with random coarse basalt piers.
1894 Pair of marble lions, situated behind Morey Gates, donated by Hon. D Ham.
1899 Site divided into two sections with separate curators; long-serving George Longley placed in charge of No1 section (d 1899, replaced by John Lingham) and Thomas Rooney in charge of the other; two sections re-united in 1912 under Rooney's charge.
1902 -3 Improvements included shifting old shed from centre of gardens to nursery, taking down dilapidated summerhouse, removal of old gums along the back fence of the gardens and replanting with acacias, creepers etc.
1903 Earliest records of tuberous begonias purchased from English nursery Blackmore and Langdon.
1904 Northern garden pavilion constructed with a steel frame concave iron roof and two large finials.
1906 The Keel House Conservatory was constructed on site of previous maze but replaced in 1959 with Glass House designed by Lohse and Carruthers, also removed for Robert Clark Conservatory in 1995.
1907 Almeida Pavilion constructed and originally housed an amusement arcade.
1908 Hedged frontage to Wendouree Parade replaced by light open-work fence.
c1910s Picnic Shelter with expansive terracotta tiled pitched roof erected in southern lake shore area as part of expansion of public recreation facilities.
1912 The sundial, constructed 1910, was presented to the gardens in 1912 by former Mayor Councillor. TT Holloway. The dial was prepared under the personal direction of the Government Astronomer, Mr P Sarracchi.
1911 Tuberous begonias successfully cultivated in the open air.
1912 Henry Ben Jahn bequest to establish a zoological section in the northern gardens with work commencing 1915, opening 1917 but closed in 1959 with most features removed.
1914 Thomas B Toop appointed curator, retired in 1945.
1916 Water lily pond constructed adjacent to Fernery.
1918 Rustic bridge added to 'Fairyland'', a popular area of the gardens on the shore of Lake Wendouree.
1921-23 Honourable J.Y. Mc Donald Bequest funds erection of new bandstand (to replace wooden one), entrance gates and pergola.
1934 Weatherboard cottage inhabited by Adam Lindsay Gordon in the 1860s re-located from Craig's Hotel to the northern gardens near the fernery. Now a craft cottage.
1937 Some early paths grassed over; this work was continued through the 1940s.
1940 Prime Minister's Avenue inaugurated, busts funded by the Richard Crouch Bequest.
1947 Long serving curator Tom Beaumont appointed, retired 1978.
1953 Begonia Festival inaugurated and still continues.
1958-59 New curator's residence erected.
1962 Sound shell built in northern gardens.
1971 Tramline through gardens closed and Ballarat Tramways Preservation Society formed to run tourist service along edge of Gardens; new depot erected with services commenced in 1974.
1972 Extant glasshouse erected to replace two earlier glasshouses located at southern end of gardens but no longer in use.
1985 Victoria's 150th Project funded Alpine Rockery and plant identification.
1990 Substantial upgrading of nursery area following extensive hail damage to glasshouses.
1994 Detailed Conservation Analysis and Master Plan undertaken; proposal for new Horticultural Centre; demolition of former curator's residence and conservatory.
1995 Official opening of Robert Clarke Conservatory and Horticultural Centre, designed by Peter Elliot, and funded by a $2million bequest from Bob Clark, grandson of Robert Clark, co-founder and proprietor of the Ballarat Courier.
1996 New Community Playground constructed.
2001 Wetlands created in northern gardens.
2004 Australian Ex-Prisoner of War Memorial designed by local sculptor, Peter Blizzard, honouring more than 35,000 Australian soldiers. The 130 metre long wall of polished black granite is engraved with the names of all Australian prisoners of war. At the centre of the monument stands six basalt obelisks etched with the names of the countries in which Australians were held prisoner.
BALLARAT BOTANICAL GARDENS - Assessment Against Criteria
The Ballarat Botanical Gardens, gazetted in 1857 and developed from 1858 on the old Police paddock site, is an outstanding example of a botanical garden. The large 40 hectare site is bounded by Lake Wendouree (originally Yuille's Swamp) to the east, the northern extension of St Aiden's Drive, The Boulevarde, Gregory Street, Gillies Street and Carlton Street along the south. Although the area between Wendouree Parade and the lake is considered to be part of the lake surrounds, this section is integral to the gardens and was included in the original 1885 reservation. This site is part of the traditional land of the Wathaurung people.
The core of the gardens is contained in the area between the nursery/works area and Adam Lindsay Gordon cottage in the north, and the fish hatchery in the south. North of the central gardens is an open area with space for sporting activities surrounded by park-like plantings of predominantly conifers. This is also the site of the former zoological section, which retains some remnant cages and a wetlands area near The Boulevarde. Closer to the works area, a road leads off Wendouree Parade to connect with Gillies Street and this passes a large and impressive picnic shelter (1904) with an elegant concave iron roof supported on slender columns.
To the south of the Trout Hatchery is another open area of parkland used for sporting activities with the Australian Ex-prisoner of War memorial located adjacent to Carlton Street. The park land north and south of the main gardens forms a critical buffer both in spatial and visual terms.
The layout of the main garden is governed by four main north-south axes; Wendouree Parade, the Giant Redwood Avenue, the Prime Minister's Avenue and a path running along the western boundary parallel to Gillies Street. The two central avenues provide strong visual elements with the massive redwoods forming one of the most prominent features of the gardens. The Prime Ministers' Avenue although far lower in scale, has a strong focus with its regularly spaced busts and avenue of chestnuts (Aesculus hippocastanum and A. x carnea). East-west links are made via the fernery, a path to the conservatory, a path at the head of the Giant Redwood Avenue, a path linking two circular features and a path with arbours near the fish hatchery. All these paths have different characteristics - the ferney is a winding path through the lathed buildings; the path to the conservatory runs through the open lawns area where bedding displays are prominent; the path at the end of the Giant Redwood Avenue is curved and marks the start of a more densely treed area; a further path joins two large circular beds, one for floral display and the other a Sensory Garden (1993); and the southern path runs below arbours clad with creepers. The garden has lawn set with trees, flower beds, statuary, structures and several dedicated display gardens such as the camellia garden, the azalea gardens and the conifer garden. Significant trees include the largest Exeter Elm (Ulmus glabra 'Exoniensis'), and rarely cultivated in Victoria, two rare Ulmus x hollandica 'Wredei', a large Horizontal Elm (Ulmus glabra 'Pendula'), and English Elm (Ulmus procera), Dutch Elm (Ulmus x hollandica), Weeping Elm (Ulmus glabra 'Camperdownii'), Golden Elm (Ulmus glabra 'Lutescens'), Chinese Elm (Ulmus parvifolia) and a young American Elm (Ulmus Americana). Other significant trees are the Sierra or Giant Redwoods, (Sequoia giganteum) planted soon after the species was introduced into Victoria, Horse Chestnuts (Aesculus hippocastanum), English or Field Maple (Acer campestre) Bunya Bunya Pine (Araucaria bidwillii), Tasmanian Blue Gum, (Eucalyptus globulus subsp. globulus), Weeping Ash (Fraxinus excelsior 'Pendula'), Sitka Spruce (Picea sitchensis), Norway Spruce (Picea abies), Western Yellow Pine, (Pinus ponderosa), Turkey Oak, (Quercus cerris), English Oak (Quercus robur), Coast Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) and Swamp or Bald Cypress (Taxodium distichum).
The northern end of the central garden is dominated by the elegant octagonal Statuary Pavilion, the Robert Clark Conservatory, a striking glazed building with faceted panels set at an angle forming a long space of triangular cross sections and the large timber Fernery. Adjacent is the relocated small timber cottage, once home of the poet Adam Lindsay Gordon.
To the east of Wendouree Park is a strip of land which serves both lake and gardens. Adjacent to the main point of entry to the gardens is the Lake House Pavillion, a decorative brick refreshment room of cruciform plan still serving its original purpose. Slightly south is the Almeida Pavilion, originally for amusement machines but now an open shelter with four cannons located nearby. To the north is an area known as Fairyland, part of the lake margin with overhanging willows, narrow paths and an enclosed, intimate character (compared with the bold floral displays and wide expanses of lawn in the gardens). South of the Lake Lodge is a park-like area with a bandstand and other shelters and playground equipment and car parking areas. Wendouree Parade itself is entered at north and south through large stone pillars with a nearby single cannon and a tram runs along the roadway for the length of the gardens.
Draft - Not yet confirmed by Heritage Council
ASSESSMENT AGAINST CRITERIA
a. Importance to the course, or pattern, of Victoria's cultural history
Developed from 1858, the Ballarat Botanical Gardens are one of the best examples of a botanic garden in Victoria. Retaining typical gardenesque and botanical gardens characteristics, they include open lawn areas planted with mature specimen trees, areas of intensive horticultural interest, formal avenues, horticultural buildings such as a fernery and conservatory, fountains, statuary and close proximity to a township developed during the mid nineteenth century.
b. Possession of uncommon, rare or endangered aspects of Victoria's cultural history.The Ballarat Botanical Gardens are important for the collection of plants characteristic of nineteenth and early twentieth century Victorian gardens, as well as representative of more specialised plant groups befitting the scientific role of a botanic garden. The planting includes many uncommon trees specimens now often only found in botanic gardens or historic landscapes.
c. Potential to yield information that will contribute to an understanding of Victoria's cultural history.
The Ballarat Botanical Gardens are one of Victoria's best known and most visited regional botanic gardens, enhanced by events such as the Begonia Festival (since 1953). The civic pride and prosperity of Ballarat, originally derived from the gold rush, continues to be reflected in the gardens which have been enhanced through bequests and donations enabling the addition of statues and significant buildings, such as the Robert Clark Conservatory. Also the location of the gardens adjacent to Lake Wendouree provides a strong recreational link with the surrounding foreshore areas and, since the 1870s, has been a popular place of leisure and recreation for locals and visitors.
d. Importance in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a class of cultural places or environments.
e. Importance in exhibiting particular aesthetic characteristics.The retention of the north-south linear layout provides a strong visual aesthetic which is accentuated by mature avenue plantings of Giant Redwood, Horse Chestnuts and English Oaks. The setting of the Ballarat Botanical Gardens adjacent to Lake Wendouree to the east and the open areas to the north and the south provides significant views into and out of the gardens and a contrast to the more formal central section. The gardens provide a fine setting for the collection of nineteenth century statues including a dedicated Statuary Pavilion and an avenue of sculptures of Australian Prime Ministers.
f. Importance in demonstrating a high degree of creative or technical achievement at a particular period.
g. Strong or special association with a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons. This includes the significance of a place to Indigenous peoples as part of their continuing and developing cultural traditions.
h. Special association with the life or works of a person, or group of persons, of importance in Victoria's history.
BALLARAT BOTANICAL GARDENS - Plaque Citation
Developed from 1858, Ballarat Botanical Gardens are one of Victoria's most significant regional botanic gardens, retaining a gardenesque style characterised by mature trees, bedding plants, statuary, historic and contemporary architecture.
BALLARAT BOTANICAL GARDENS - Permit Exemptions
General Conditions: 1. All exempted alterations are to be planned and carried out in a manner which prevents damage to the fabric of the registered place or object.
General Conditions: 2. Should it become apparent during further inspection or the carrying out of works that original or previously hidden or inaccessible details of the place or object are revealed which relate to the significance of the place or object, then the exemption covering such works shall cease and Heritage Victoria shall be notified as soon as possible.
General Conditions: 3. If there is a conservation policy and plan endorsed by the Executive Director, all works shall be in accordance with it. Note: The existence of a Conservation Management Plan or a Heritage Action Plan endorsed by the Executive Director, Heritage Victoria provides guidance for the management of the heritage values associated with the site. It may not be necessary to obtain a heritage permit for certain works specified in the management plan.
General Conditions: 4. Nothing in this determination prevents the Executive Director from amending or rescinding all or any of the permit exemptions.
General Conditions: 5. Nothing in this determination exempts owners or their agents from the responsibility to seek relevant planning or building permits from the responsible authorities where applicable.
Minor Works: Note: Any Minor Works that in the opinion of the Executive Director will not adversely affect the heritage significance of the place may be exempt from the permit requirements of the Heritage Act. A person proposing to undertake minor works may submit a proposal to the Executive Director. If the Executive Director is satisfied that the proposed works will not adversely affect the heritage values of the site, the applicant may be exempted from the requirement to obtain a heritage permit. If an applicant is uncertain whether a heritage permit is required, it is recommended that the permits co-ordinator be contacted.
The process of gardening, mowing, hedge clipping, bedding displays, removal of dead plants and weed control, emergency and safety work and landscaping in accordance with the original concept.
The replanting of plant species to conserve the landscape character, rare and unusual species, exotic and native trees, planted in beds, shrubberies and as specimen trees in lawns.
Management and maintenance of trees including formative and remedial pruning, removal of deadwood, pest and disease control, cabling, mowing, weed control and mulching.
In the event of loss or removal of trees, replanting with the same species to maintain the landscape character identified in the statement of significance. Removal of tree seedlings and suckers but excluding herbicide use.
Management of trees in accordance with Australian Standard: Pruning of amenity trees AS 4373.
Management of trees in accordance with Australian Standard: Protection of trees on development sites AS 4970.
Removal of plants listed as Prohibited and Controlled Weeds in the Catchment and Land Protection Act 1994.
Repairs, conservation and maintenance to structures and hard landscape elements, memorial plaques, asphalt and gravel roads and paths, stone and concrete edging, fences and gates.
Installation, removal or replacement of garden watering and drainage systems beyond the canopy edge of listed trees.
BALLARAT BOTANICAL GARDENS - Permit Exemption Policy
Conservation and management of the Ballarat Botanic Gardens should retain the existing layout, character and botanical plantings. The importance of the Botanic Gardens lies primarily in its layers of planting, features and buildings which combine to create a landscape and botanic gardens of significance. Future works should continue to be guided by the 'Ballarat Botanic Gardens Master Plan and Management Strategy" by John Patrick Pty Ltd 1995. This document should be updated in the near future.