The Geelong Grammar School, a once imposing Tudor Gothic Style quadrangular school building complex was, when completed 1857, the most substantial work of Backhouse & Reynolds, a celebrated Geelong firm of architects whose reputation was largely based on the scholarly Italinate design for the Matthew Flinders School at Geelong. The surviving south wing, which is not indicative of the overall quadrangular school design, is a physical manifestation of the foundation years of Geelong Grammar School, Victoria's most prestigious public school. All that remains of the quadrangular school building is the two storey south wing built of cement rendered basalt with steep roof gables, decorated barges and attic dormers.
RECOMMENDATIONS: PROTECTIVE MEASURES
Geelong Regional Commission Register
Carolan, K.J.- 'Geelong Grammar School c1850-1914'
Research Essay, History of Australia
Architecture University of Melbourne, 1971.
Includes plans, illustrations and history.
National Trust of Australia (Victoria), File No. 1154.
'Research into Old Geelong Grammar School',
Maude Street, Geelong - November, 1978 - including detailed biography.
Geelong Advertiser - 16th May, 1857, tender notice
14th November, 1857, detailed description, still under construction.
21st June 1858 - details of opening ceremony.
27th June, 1875 - tender for additions.
6th November 1884 - tender for additions.
Campbell, Wilson Pty Ltd - Geelong for Business and Health compiled for the Geelong City Council, Geo. A. List, Publisher, Geelong - Illustrations of Beakon Trading Co. (Former North wing of Geelong Grammar School)