The South Geelong School is of local significance. Architecturally, it is an unusual grouping of buildings with the Victorian form remaining but substantially altered in 1920. The complex now demonstrated features from both periods. Some of these alterations, such as increased window area and removal of verandah, reflects the desire at this time to introduce more light and ventilation into classrooms. The school has historical importance as a school has operated from this site serving the Geelong community since before 1879.