Statement of Cultural Significance the Portarlington Primary School has been in continuous operation since its inception in 1873, and the present purpose built structure was opened in 1882. It is representative of the rural schools designed by Education Department architect H R Bastow. The school was extended after the First World War and the original bell tower was demolished in the 1970s, so the integrity of the building is only fair. It is a typical example of school architecture of the period and is distinctive for its use of local bricks and the unusual decorative design of the brickwork.
It is of scientific, social and historic significance to the local Portarlington community.
The Portarlington School was constructed of local bricks made at the Portarlington Tile and Brick Works located at the former Portarlington Mill. It was the largest primary school on the Bellarine Peninsula and an important educational and social centre for the township and surrounding rural area. It is now part of a complex of school buildings representing the educational history of the local community.
It is of LOCAL cultural significance.
Blake, L.J.,Vision and Realisation a centenary history of State education in Victoria. 1973