What is significant?
The Wannon Inn was one of the earliest hotels outside Hamilton and, typically, was located at a river crossing. The township of Wannon, formerly known as Redruth was created around the site. The first publican was William Stuckey who established the inn in 1849. Before a bridge was built at least four people drowned in the flooded river and were buried nearby. Stuckey was superseded by John Quigley in 1854. Quigley was an important figure in the district, being a councillor from 1858 until 1870 and Shire President from 1863 to 1866 only to resign due to his financial downfall. The inn took advantage of its proximity to the famous Wannon Falls. The third licensee was Angus Cameron. The Wannon Inn was delicensed in the early twentieth century as a result of the Licence Reduction Board's review of small hotels in the district. The whole complex has been demolished. The site remains undeveloped and of high archaeological potential including the graves.
How is it significant?
The site of the Wannon Inn is of archaeological and historical significance as a Heritage Inventory Site.
Why is it significant?
The site of the Wannon Inn is of archaeological significance for its potential to demonstrate the situation and condition of a typical mid-nineteenth century coaching inn and the occupants' lifestyles.
The site of the Wannon Inn is of historical significance for it associations with the various publicans, especially the community leader and entrepreneur, John Quigley.