What is significant?
Hilston Park is located on the south side of the Chatsworth Road, approximately three kilometres east of Hamilton. The house, built in 1903, is a small symmetrical single storey brick structure in a very simple and late version of the Italianate style. Hilston Park was originally part of The Grange or Upper Grange pastoral run, until it was taken up with several other allotments in the area by Johann Christoph Krieg in 1855. The house is in good condition and the exteriors retain a high degree of integrity.
How is it significant?
Hilston Park is of historical and architectural significance to the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
Hilston Park is of historical significance as a representative example of one of the early allotments taken up in the Hochkirch (Tarrington) area by German immigrants in the mid nineteenth century. It is of further historical significance for its long association with the German Lutheran community through ownership by the Kreig and Krause families. It is of architectural interest for its late use of the Victorian Italianate style.