What is significant?
The Strathkellar Public Hall located off the Strathkellar-Tarrington Road began as the local Mechanic's Institute after 1905 when the district was subdivided for closer settlement. No architect or builder has yet been linked with the design. Mechanics Institutes were an important reflection of the prosperity, culture and aspirations of a town. They were also important as social centres. The building is weatherboard with a corrugated iron roof, typical in form, materials and style for the period. There is a stage area at its the northern end and a skillion annex on the eastern side. The building remains substantially intact to its 1905 design and in fair condition.
How is it significant?
The Strathkellar Public Hall and former Mechanics Institute is of historical, social and cultural significance to the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
The Strathkellar Public Hall and former Mechanics Institute Hall is of historical significance as the principal public meeting place of the small community for 100 years and now as one of its few remnants. Culturally, the hall is significant to Strathkellar because, in the early 20th centuries it reflected the town's aspirations and was associated with the self-improvement of its citizens through reading, lectures and concerts. Socially, the hall provided a focus for community activities such as dances, shows and film nights. These traditional roles continued until relatively recently. The hall's significance is supported by the neighbouring former State School No 3536 and teacher's residence.
PUBLIC HALL & MECHANICS INSTITUTE - Physical Description 1
The hall building is a standard design for a its function and is typical of its period for the scale, form, planning, details and materials. The structure is framed in timber and clad in weatherboards. The windows in the east and west elevations are large . There are highlight windows in the south elevation. There is a small simple timber porch. The proprietary ventilators in the roof are the same as on the adjacent public hall.