What is significant?
The South Hamilton Lutheran Cemetery, located the south side of Chatsworth Road, near Hamilton is a rare example of a single denominational cemetery. The cemetery reflects the early Lutheran history and settlement of The Grange, later known as Hamilton. The cemetery stands where the original South Hamilton Lutheran Church stood, built in 1854 by the earliest Lutheran families to settle the area. The cemetery is set on a roughly square ten acre allotment on the boundary of the City of Hamilton, and contains roughly about 1000 burials. The cemetery has a variety of monuments, most simple and unpretentious. The layout is on a simple grid, and there is a row planting of Bhutan Cypress (Cupressus torulosa) along the boundary fence which fronts Chatsworth Road. The Cemetery continues to be used as a burial place, and is maintained in very good condition. It retains a very high degree of integrity.
How is it significant?
The South Hamilton Lutheran Cemetery is of historical and social significance to the Lutheran community and the Southern Grampians Shire.
What is significant?
The South Hamilton Lutheran Cemetery is of historical significance as an enduring record of those who have lived and died in the community, as a reflection of passing phases, ways of life and death, particular events, and as documentary evidence. It is of particular historical interest as an early expression of the strength of the Lutheran communities in the Hamilton district, and the families who settled at The Grange in the 1850s.
The Cemetery is of social significance for reflecting the customs and tastes of the community, for reflecting different religious values, and for reflecting different economic and social status. It is also important as a place of passive recreation. Of particular social significance is the absence of people from other denominations being buried in the cemetery. It is a rare surviving example of a single denomination burial ground. This is a physical representation of the close knit Lutheran community in the Hamilton area in the nineteenth century.
HAMILTON SOUTH LUTHERAN CEMETERY - Physical Description 1
The Hamilton South Lutheran Cemetery is located on the south side of the Chatsworth Road, about six kilometres east of the centre of Hamilton. The cemetery is roughly square ten acre parcel of land with about 1,000 burials and tombstones. The cemetery is defined by simple wire fencing on three sides, with a cyclone mesh fence and simple gates defining the entrance on the southern side of Chatsworth Road. There is a row of evenly spaced Bhutan Cypress (Cupressus torulosa) planted along the fence inside the cemetery, which are in excellent condition.