What is significant?
The former Station Master's Residence, located near the former Railway Station in Station Street, Branxholme is a large single storey asymmetrical timber house, with corrugated iron roofs and a corrugated iron verandah across the facade. The house is thought to have been built post 1900, and may have been the second residence constructed for the purpose, as the railway reached Branxholme in 1876. There has been no architect or builder associated with the design. The house is in fair condition, and retains a good degree of integrity.
How is it significant?
The former Station Master's Residence is of historical significance to the township of Branxholme and the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
The former Railway Station Master's Residence is of historical significance as it represents a previous phase of commercial and industrial activity and trade in Branxholme. The centre of the township moved from the main route between Hamilton and Portland with the advent of the railway, and the Station Master's House would have been considered to be an important residence within the township. The house represents the importance of the railway to the township of Branxholme, from the 1870s until its closure in the middle of the twentieth century.