Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church is significant aesthetically within the Western Region because:
- it is an uncommon but successful use of the Baroque/Byzantine revival architectural styles, both externally and internally, judged among other churches in Melbourne's western suburbs (Criterion B2, F1);
- it is a highly visible landmark along Ballarat Road and is a visually striking church in comparison with other western suburban churches (Criterion F1);
- it is the last Catholic church to be designed by the noted church architect T G Payne in the western suburbs and, with its highly mannered execution, provides an interesting contrast with his earlier work (Criterion H1);
- the church is a striking representative of a phase which saw the movement towards building a church worthy of God after initial parish concerns, such as establishing a modest place of worship and a school, had been achieved (Criterion A4);
- the construction of the church, presbytery, parish hall and parish centre together, as a complex, and sited away from the original parish site and parochial school, makes the complex a distinctive yet highly representative Catholic church complex for the period (Criterion A3); and
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help church is socially significant within the Western Region of Melbourne as the product of over a decade of fund raising and prayer by the St John's, West Footscray, parishioners and Parish Priests Fathers Morrison and Gilhooly, as expressed by the exterior and the public parts of the interior (Criterion G1).
Australian Heritage Commission (AHC) criteria
The Australian Heritage Commission criteria consist of a set of eight criteria which cover social, aesthetic, scientific, and historic values. Each criterion has sub-criteria written specifically for cultural or natural values. The relevant criteria are:
F.1 design or technological achievement .
H.1 association with important person or group
A.3 richness and diversity of cultural features
A.4 demonstrates well the course and pattern of history, important historic events