Public contributions

Notes See all notes

ORIGINAL OWNER & builder of the ranges hotel


John McMahon was the original owner and builder of this hotel in 1902 and he used pews, materials and stained glass windows from St. Luke's Church in Fitzroy. He was twice Mayor of Fitzroy and the founder of the Fitzroy Football Club. His wife Jane obtained the licence in 1904. John entertained his friends, many of whom were notable people who travelled up on the Puffing Billy train for the day and included the Commonwealth Treasurer & the Victorian Governor. It was a very popular day out.

Note: Developments may span multiple time periods
Timeline browser