Charing Cross Civic & Commercial Precinct has significance to Cardinia Shire for its associations with the development of the Upper Beaconsfield area as an important health and tourist resort. The earliest remaining structures are from the 1880s.
The Rotunda (1916), is significant as an important focus of the group, set within a park reserve. The Victorian Orchardists Cool Store and Fruit Packaging Company, opened on the site in the 1920s, is also significant as a reminder of when Upper Beaconsfield became a prosperous orcharding district. Other significant components of the precinct include the former Salisbury House boarding house, the Assembly Hall and nearby war memorial, all closely linked to public life in the town over an extended period.
Charing Cross Civil & Comm Prec - Physical Description 1
* the reserve and planting,
* the timber framed rotunda (1916),
* packing shed,
* former tea rooms (now the milk bar),
* the post office,
* Salisbury House (former guest house),
* tennis courts
* the Assembly Hall and
* the nearby war memorial.
These elements represent the early community centre of the settlement and its major structures grouped compactly around the main intersection in the town. Later elements of a related type (but not era), include the RSL hall and the Ash Wednesday Memorial Park.
Just outside of the precinct, on the other side of the Emerald Road, was the site of the Anglican Church which was rebuilt after destruction of the church in the 1983 fires. Although rebuilt in an empathetic form to the rest of the precinct, this church is unrelated historically to the heritage qualities of the early civic structures of the precinct.