What is significant? The Korumburra Comfort Station for Women, designed and constructed in 1944 by the Public Works Department, at 3 Radovick Street, Korumburra.
Why is it significant? The Korumburra Comfort Station for Women is of local historic, social and aesthetic significance to the town of Korumburra.
Historically and socially, the quality of the design and prominent location of the facility on one of Korumburra's main commercial streets illustrates prevailing attitudes to the provision of separate public conveniences for women in the pre-World War 2 period (AHC criterion A.4 and C.1)
Aesthetically, it is a well resolved interwar public building, which is notable as a locally rare example that features progressive Moderne influences such as the stepped pylon at the south west corner. (AHC criterion - E.1 and F.1)
KORUMBURRA COMFORT STATION FOR WOMEN - Physical Description 1
The Korumburra Comfort Station for Women at 3 Radovick Street, Korumburra is a cream brick single storey moderne structure with a high parapet concealing its skillion roof. At the southwest corner is a rendered brick pylon in stepped art deco style bearing the sign, "Comfort Station", in characteristically simple upper case lettering. The building has been converted from a women's only facility to cater for both sexes, but the present doors and some interior detail appear to be original. The windows are closely spaced double hung. Stylistically, the building is related to the adjacent State Bank, which was renovated in 1940.
An "historic" verandah in faux Victorian style has recently been added, which detracts from the character and stark simplicity of the original design.