The Fern Avenue Urban Conservation Area has significance as a relatively intact residential streetscape dating from the period of the First World War and illustrating the Edwardian architectural characteristics of the period.
The key heritage characteristics of the Fern Avenue Urban Conservation Area are:
- its First World War Edwardian residential character
- the consistent form, scale and materials throughout the Area
- the retention of street works from the early twentieth century period including
- bluestone kerb and gutters and street plantings
- the entry to the area from Williams Road
- the form of the area as a T shaped residential street and the closure of the vista
- along Fern Avenue by Edwardian cottages of a similar period.