Statement of Significance
The building is also of some historical significance. With the exception of the former Bowen Nurses' Home, which is now very substantially altered, the Marian Drummond Memorial Nurses' Home appears possibly to be the earliest surviving purpose-built nurses' home in metropolitan Melbourne. The Nurses' Home at the Alfred Hospital, constructed in 1908, was recently demolished. Other nurses' homes were constructed in the post-World War Two period, and many of these have also been demolished. The Queen Victoria Hospital Nurses' Home, formerly the Melbourne Hospital, was demolished in 1994; the Royal Melbourne Hospital Nurses' Home (c.1950s) has been converted to offices, as have the St Vincent's Hospital's Nurses' Home (1958) and the Children's Hospital Nurses' Home (c.1950); Prince Henry's Hospital Nurses' Home has been demolished along with the rest of the hospital complex, and the Western Hospital Nurses' Home (c.1950) was demolished in 1987. The Nurses' Home at the former Methodist Babies' Home, Copelen Street (constructed in the 1930s) was extant in 1993, however, it would appear that the of the surviving nurses' homes in the metropolitan area, the closest in date to the Marian Drummond is the Edward Wilson Nurses' Home (1925), also at the Austin. Further research would be required to clarify this issue.
The building is of a level of significance which would warrant retention and conservation of the external fabric. Historically and architecturally the building is at least of local significance and potentially of state significance. Its retention is considered to be essential.
[Extract: Allom Lovell & Associates. Austin Campus: Austin and Repatriation Medical Centre, Melbourne, 1997]. LANDSCAPE: The Austin Hospital is enhanced by its landscape setting, which includes a wide variety of mature trees. The trees contribute significantly to the character of the area, and the aesthetic appeal of the hospital grounds.
MARIAN DRUMMOND NURSES' HOME FORMER - Historical Australian Themes
The Austin Hospital was established in 1882 through the beneficence of Mrs Thomas Austin. The hospital's original charter was to care for those suffering from 'incurable diseases', but this was expanded greatly in the 20th century. The word 'incurable' was dropped from the name of the hospital and it moved to keep pace with developments in all areas of medicine and other related fields.
MARIAN DRUMMOND NURSES' HOME FORMER - Usage/Former Usage
Original use: Nurses Home
Current Use: Nurses Home
MARIAN DRUMMOND NURSES' HOME FORMER - Physical Conditions
MARIAN DRUMMOND NURSES' HOME FORMER - Physical Description 1
BUILDINGS: With the exception of a glazed infill to a small section of the first floor verandah and a recent brick addition to the rear, the Marian Drummond building is remarkably intact externally. The building is of red brick and render, and has a wide, two storey encircling verandah with stained shingled balustrading at first floor level, decorative geometric metal balustrading at ground floor level, and tapered timber posts with carved brackets and moulded cappings. The centrally positioned half timbered and shingled gabled porch is supported on rendered classical piers.
Internally, it is also very intact, retaining most of its original plan form and fabric, including the stairs, main corridors and bedrooms, most of which are now used as consulting rooms. At first floor level the arrangement of rooms has been altered and the verandahs infilled to create a more open waiting and administrative/meeting area. The original stained glass in the building was replaced in 1986. LANDSCAPE: The site features extensive plantings of mature trees towards the south east section of the site. Many trees are set in lawn, and date from the early history of the site. They include Himalayan Cedar (Cedrus deodara), Monterey Cypress (Cupressus macrocarpa), Desert Ash (Fraxinus oxycarpa), Brush Box (Lophostemon confertus), Pinoak (Quercus palustris) and Common Oak (Quercus robur). Also of note is a large Cotton Palm (Washingtonia robusta) and extensive Privet (Ligustrum ovalifolium) hedges near the south eastern entry area.
MARIAN DRUMMOND NURSES' HOME FORMER - Intactness
MARIAN DRUMMOND NURSES' HOME FORMER - Physical Description 2
Heritage Study and Grading
Banyule - Banyule Heritage Study
Author: Allum Lovell & Associates
Banyule - Heidelberg Conservation Study
Author: Graeme Butler and Associates
FORMER HEAD TEACHER'S RESIDENCEVictorian Heritage Register H1617
RESIDENCEVictorian Heritage Register H2082
CHADWICK HOUSEVictorian Heritage Register H1156
'Mount View' Homestead complexGreater Bendigo City