The former Junction Hotel site, including all the fabric of the brick building and a brick and timber outbuilding, is significant. Timber fencing, including carved gate posts and a second outbuilding of poles and corrugated iron sheets are also notable. The large trees including oaks and other exotics contribute to the setting of this group of buildings.
How is it significant?
The former Junction Hotel is of local historic and aesthetic significance to the City of Greater Bendigo.
Why is it significant?
The former Junction Hotel probably dates from c.1860, however it is difficult to be confident about the original date of construction and later alterations. Classified as a dairy farm after 1908 and currently used as a house, the former Junction Hotel is historically significant for its association with Italian migrants, in particular Andrew Olgiati, a charcoal burner and land speculator and later with the Togno family from 1901 to later than 1945. The hotel was also known as 'Marchese's Wine Shop' period of Cousin Marchese's ownership for nine years from 1892. The form of the timber outbuilding at the rear is of interest as it is similar to designs by Italian immigrants of store houses or barns which form integral parts of houses. A second outbuilding of poles and corrugated iron sheets is also notable. Criterion A
6 Tannery Lane occupies a key position on the corner of Tannery Lane and Mandurang Road. Although lacking many of the defining characteristics of other hotels in the district, such as a wide verandah and high gabled roof, the former Junction Hotel is architecturally significant as a splay cornered building without a verandah. The outbuildings are tangible evidence of the range of commercial and faring activities that took place, and are of architectural interest for their relationship to the main building and their use of compatible building materials. Timber fencing, including carved gate posts, and large exotic trees contribute to the setting. Criterion E
The building at 6 Tannery Lane on the corner of Mandurang Road comprises a house formerly used as a hotel, and an outbuilding. A number of alterations have been made to this building that make it difficult to be confident about its origins. The roof shows a splay cornered building suggesting that it was originally designed as a hotel. The siting on the corner and the proximity to the road also tends to suggest this. The brick walls that now wrap around the two sides appear to be a later alteration as the bricks are second-hand and laid in stretcher bond, indicating that they are a skin rather than load bearing walls. The chimneys have also been rebuilt.
The history refers to the building as once having a flagstone roof. Although there is no evidence of it remaining, there are examples of buildings in Castlemaine having roofs of the local stone.  At one side there is an opening in the stone plinth which leads to a cellar with a timber door.
At the rear of the building is a modern extension that links to an outbuilding. The outbuilding is of interest and consists of a timber house in ruinous condition attached to a brick building resting on stone base walls. The form of this building is similar to designs by Italian immigrants where store houses or barns form integral parts of houses. It utilizes a slight slope in the land to provide floor levels at differing heights. The timber part is built with a stud frame and has the remains of vertical lining boards to dado level with hessian lining above.
There are two different types of brickwork used including the lower part of the walls with Flemish bond in alternating clinker (over burnt) headers and red stretchers. This characteristic brick pattern is used in several buildings in Birregurra. The upper part of the walls are in stretcher bond with second-hand bricks and it is likely that they have been rebuilt.
The two stones lying in the ground containing inscriptions of "A Olgiati, 1877" and "Olgiati" are of particular interest as they provide tangible evidence of the occupation by the Olgiati family. It is possible that these stones were carved at a later date to commemorate Andrew Olgiati.
The site on which the former hotel stands is picturesque and contains the remains of timber fencing including carved gate posts and a second outbuilding of poles and corrugated iron sheets that probably served as an animal shelter.
The large trees including oaks and other exotics contribute to the setting of this group of buildings.
A two storey extension has been added to this building in 2008.
 Lewis, M, Australian Building, A Cultural Investigation, http://www.abp.unimelb.edu.au/staff/milesbl/australian-building/#three, p. 13. accessed 02/03/2009