The Gregory's Bridge Hotel, situated on the banks of the Goulburn River was built between 1865 and 1868 and was known until the 1890s as Thorne's Bridge Hotel and Store. It is a substantial country hotel which also comprises a large general store and cellar as part of the building, stables at the rear and the remnants of a once magnificent garden. In front of the Hotel on the road reserve is a large and outstanding London Plane (Platanus x acerifolia) which was planted in 1916.The tree dominates the north side of the Hotel, and mostly blocks out the facade of the building. The tree has outstanding form, size and branch structure, and is one of the finest and largest London Plane trees in Victoria. The only larger trees known in Victoria occur at The Melbourne Club, Harrietville, and Kyabram.
Once known as the "Mecca of the Valley" because of its four acres of magnificent gardens and riverside setting, the former Gregory's Bridge Hotel was extensively patronised by tourists, commercial travellers and local inhabitants. Thorne was succeeded as licensee by Mr E. J. Gregory who added a second storey to the rear of the building in 1905 and renamed the hotel Gregory's Bridge Hotel. The hotel was said in 1909 to be 'easily the best known hotel in the Goulburn Valley' and was patronised by commercial travellers and tourists as well as locals. It is a historic symbol of the importance of hotels in a late nineteenth century community.
The former Gregory's Bridge Hotel is a substantial reminder of the importance and influence of commercial travellers and the Commercial Travellers Association in Victorian society.
How is it significant?
Gregory's Bridge Hotel Murchison is of architectural, aesthetic and historical significance to the State of Victoria.
Why is it significant?
Gregory's Bridge Hotel Murchison is of architectural significance as a representative example of a substantial two-storeyed brick country hotel with stables of the 1860s with cast iron decorative panels to the return verandah.
The London Plane tree (Platanus x acerifolia), planted in 1916, is of aesthetic (landscape) significance, providing an attractive landscape setting for the historic Gregory's Bridge Hotel. The tree has outstanding form, size and branch structure, and is one of the finest and largest London Plane trees in Victoria.
Gregory's Bridge Hotel Murchison is of historical significance as an example of a substantial country hotel, stables and general store built in the 1860s catering to commercial travellers and tourists.