The building at 131 St Georges Road, Fitzroy, a fine example of Conservative Classicism, was built in 1877 for John Ward. The ground-plan of the two-storey rendered brick house, known as York House, follows the acute angle of the site, the apex having a two-tier cast-iron
verandah which was added c1900. The facade features bay windows and arched first-floor windows with architrave surrounds and keystones. The hipped roof is slate-clad.
How is it significant?
The building at 131 St Georges Road, Fitzroy, is of architectural and historical significance.
Why is it Significant?
The building at 131 St Georges Road, Fitzroy, is of architectural significance as a very good example of Conservative Classicism, and as a prominent element of the Alfred Crescent Precinct. This precinct features the Edinburgh Gardens and the Fitzroy Cricket Club, as well as the curving Alfred Crescent with its substantial number of buildings of historical and architectural interest.
The building at 131 St Georges Road, Fitzroy, is of historical significance as one of the oldest buildings in the Alfred Crescent precinct.
Old Colonists Homes
Former North Fitzroy Post Office
Former North Fitzroy Electric Railway Substation
Former United Kingdom Hotel
Fitzroy Cricket Ground Grandstand
Porter Prefabricated Iron Store