The New Chum Gold Battery Site consists of a 15ft diameter iron waterwheel and the remains of a 4-head stamping battery. The wheel, which still retains its brass fittings, spokes and buckets has collapsed and now lies on top of the stamping battery. There is evidence of several hut platforms near the battery.
The New Chum Gold Battery Site is of historical, and scientific importance to the State of Victoria.
The New Chum Gold Battery Site is historically and scientifically important as a characteristic and well preserved example of an important form of gold mining. The iron-framed water wheel is very rare, with only one other known survivor (at the Morning Star battery at Donnelly's Creek). The New Chum waterwheel and battery was installed in 1898 to crush stone obtained from reefs on Bluey's Creek, a tributary of the Upper Tambo River.
Gold mining sites are of crucial importance for the pivotal role they have played since 1851 in the development of Victoria. As well as being a significant producer of Victoria's nineteenth century wealth, with its intensive use of machinery, played an important role in the development of Victorian manufacturing industry. The abandoned mining machinery at the Degreaves Creek battery site is historically important for its evocation of the adventurousness, hardship, and isolation that was part of mining life in the high country areas of the State.
The New Chum Gold Battery Site is archaeologically important for its potential to yield artefacts and evidence which will be able to provide significant information about the technological history of gold mining.