What is Significant?
The village of Condah formerly called Green Hills after a nearby squatting run, takes its present name from Lake Condah. It is located at the intersection of the Portland-Hamilton Road (the Henty Highway), the Condah-Hotspur Lower Road and the Condah-Coleraine Road. It also is located at the meeting point of the three most important runs in the area in the nineteenth century - Crawford, Bassett's and Whittlebury. All these runs date from the early 1840s and by 1844 Robert Taylor had a licence for the Fleece Inn at Green Hills. The town probably grew as a result of sub-division for Selection in the late 1860s and especially from the opening of the railway in 1876. The town may also have been boosted by the establishment of the Condah Co-operative Butter and Cheese Factory Company Ltd well to the north-east of the town in 1909. The route between the pubs and the station seems to have become the de facto main street, with its stores, post office and the Catholic Church. The two other churches, Anglican and Methodist are located on the highway, beyond the precinct. There was a branch of the Commercial Banking Corporation at the south-west corner of the highway and the main street. The banking chamber and manager's residence survive. The railway station is mostly gone but the water tower and a plantation of mature pines remain and some smaller buildings which were relocated closer to the town's centre. An important part of the town's heritage value is the space between buildings. The town is widely dispersed and its form is organic rather than being planned, in contrast to most of the townships in Glenelg Shire. The general store, owned by Clive 'Curly' Pettingill and his wife Daisy Emma Pettingill, operated until his death in 2000. The town retains much of its integrity and character with little intrusion but some of the buildings are in only fair condition.
How is it Significant?
The Condah Village Precinct is of historical, social and architectural significance to the Shire of Glenelg.
Why is it Significant?
The Condah Village Precinct is of historic significance as a township dating from the mid 1860s, and as the focus for the pastoral properties surrounding the township from as early as 1840. The disparate arrangement of surviving structures and archaeological sites is part of what makes it significant, as it represents the early, unchanged form of small rural towns from the nineteenth century. The range of buildings which survive are interesting in that they represent the various 'boom' periods of Condah, dating primarily from the mid 1850s, the late nineteenth century, and the early twentieth century. It is of social significance as the focus for the community's education, religious life and recreation, roles that it continues to fulfil. The architectural significance of the town lies in the range of buildings constructed from local materials over a long period of time, ranging from the larger religious buildings through to the humble timber cottages which remain.
The village of Condah is an organic rather than a planned township. It islocated at the intersection of the Portland-Hamilton Road (the Henty Highway), the Condah-Hotspur Lower Road and the Condah-Coleraine Road.Thevillage is lcoated 45kms north-north east of Portland and 35kms south-west of Hamilton. The Portland to Hamilton railway passes through the west site of the township.
The township is widely dispersed, the precinct only including the central portion, which is relatively closely spaced. There are a range of private dwellings, former commercial buildings and religious buildings within the precinct. The Hotspur-Condah Lower Road which leads from the Highway to the former railway station seems to have developed as the town's commercial centre. Two stores survive as well the former Post Office and its residence and several cottages. A former bank, probably a branch of the Commercial Banking Corporation is located on the south-west corner of the Hotspur-Condah Lower Road and the Henty Highway. The former bankis of architectural significancefor its typically restrained classical architecture, unusually constructed of timberin avacant streetscape. The commercial section of the bank sits on the property boundary, with the residence, a vernacular timber residence attached at the rear. The residence retains many of itsoriginal external features and fixutres, such as the window hoods. The Condah Hall, a large late Victorian timber hall with an attached annexeis located on the east side Henty Highway. The hall retains its original windows and while the roof has been replaced with colourbond, has a high degree of integrity to the original form. The former Presbyterian Church and manse, located at 5113 Henty Highway are set some distance off the main road. The church is a simple late victorian timber church with a steeply pitched roof and gothic arched windows. It retains a high degree of integrity. The other major church within the precinct is St. Patricks Catholic Church, located at 28 Condah - Hotspur Upper Rd, Condah - this church is located on a very large parcel of land in the centre of the present day township. The simple church is constructed of timber, with a steep gable roof and small entrance porch located at the front of the church. The original windows, which are timber framed gothic arch windows survive intact. An early fence, dating from the early twentieth century, and wire gate survive along the street frontage.
The following places within the precinct are contributory or significant
- Cottage, 8 Condah-Macarthur Rd, Condah
- Former Shop, 37 Condah-Hotspur Upper Rd, Condah
- House, 38 Condah-Hotspur Upper Rd, Condah
- Former Post Office & Residence, 40 Condah-Hotspur Upper Rd, Condah
- General Store, 42 Condah-Hotspur Upper Rd, Condah
- Cottage and former Railway Goods Shed, 46 Condah-Hotspur Upper Rd, Condah
- Former Railway Station site, Water Tower and row of Pine Trees, 66 Condah-Hotspur Upper Rd, Condah
- Former Presbyterian Church and site of manse, 5113 Henty Hwy, Condah
- Former CBC Bank, 1 Condah-Hotspur Upper Rd, Condah
- St Patrick's Catholic Church, 28 Condah-Hotpur Upper Rd, Condah
- Condah Public Hall, 5162 Henty Highway, Condah
Physical condition Most of the buildings within the precinct are in fair to good condition.
Associated people Robert Taylor, first publican of the Fleece Inn
Archibald Macdonald, last publican of the Fleece Inn
Alexander Anderson, first publican of the Green Hills Hotel
Mayer M Silberberg, publican and some time owner of the Green Hills Hotel
C. and D. E. Pettingill, owners of the General Store
CONDAH VILLAGE PRECINCT - Historical Australian Themes
4.1: Planning urban settlements
4.1.1: Selecting township sites
4.5: Making settlements to serve rural Australia
4.6: Remembering significant phases in the development of settlements, towns and cities
6.1: Forming associations, libraries and institutes for self-education
6.2: Establishing schools
6.5: Educating people in remote places
8.6.1: Worshipping together
8.6.2: Maintaining religious traditions and ceremonies
8.6.4: Making places for worship