What is Significant?
The Wando Vale Village Precinct is a very small area comprised of Sections 1 and 2, Township of Wando Vale, in the Parish of Wando. It was laid out as a township at the centre of one of Victoria's first closer settlement schemes, in 1900. This settlement, which broke up the large pastoral property 'Wando Vale' has been referred to as one of the most successful closer settlement schemes. It was primarily taken up by people with some farming experience, who took small acreages and practiced dairying. The precinct contains the Memorial Hall, the war memorial, Davidson Reserve, the Wando Vale State School (former), including a boundary planting of Sugar Gums, a plantation of Eucalyptus on the west side of the Casterton-Edenhope Road and two known heritage inventory sites (the School teacher's residence and the Catholic Church) and the road reserves. Although the township layout provides for four sections, almost no residences were built in these sections, nor were the proposed roads ever laid out. Although some of the original buildings from the township have been lost, it is an interesting example of a closer settlement 'village'. There were at least four other known examples within the Shire of closer settlement 'towns' which have lost their use and function. Wando Vale Village Precinct is still used as an important community meeting and recreation place, and retains the memories of generations. It is generally in very good condition, but retains only a fair degree of integrity, due to the loss of many important structures.
How is it Significant?
The Wando Vale Village Precinct is of historical, social and archaeological significance to the Glenelg Shire.
Why is it Significant?
The Wando Vale Village Precinct is of historical significance as the foundling of the Wando Vale Closer Settlement Subdivision dating from 1900. It is of particular historical interest as the only surviving example of its type in the Glenelg Shire. Unlike most closer and solider settlement schemes, Wando Vale was considered to be very successful, and the remaining buildings and archaeological sites represent this. It is of social significance as the focus for the community's continuing education, social and religious life and recreation for over one hundred years. The archaeological significance of the town lies in those places where buildings have been removed, such as the site of the former Church, the school and the school teacher's residence, for their ability to yield information about their past occupants and uses.