What is significant?
The former shop and residence at 175 Stokes Street, Port Melbourne dates from 1863-64, when grocer Margaret Murray constructed a wooden shop of three rooms. The building gradually increased in size and by 1881 it comprised seven rooms. It is a two-storeyed, timber Victorian Free Classical style building, weatherboarded to the side and rear elevations. Built on the footpath line, the originally symmetrical double fronted front elevation has timber block fronting to resemble ashlar. The recessed central shop door is flanked by timber framed shop windows which retain 19th century sectional panelled shutters. Timber pilasters on each side of the shop windows support a plain entablature with moulded timber cornice at first floor level. There are two sash windows with single vertical glazing bar and moulded architraves to the upper level which are centred over the ground floor shop windows. The eaves to the hipped corrugated iron roof have paired timber brackets to the front.
How is it significant?
The former shop and residence is of architectural and historic significance to the state of Victoria.
Why is it significant?
The former shop and residence is architecturally and historically significant as a rare survivor of the once many timber-framed 19th century combined shops and residences built in Victoria. It is now one of only a few double-storey, timber-framed shops known to survive from this period in Victoria compared to the many extant 19th century brick shops. The exterior is remarkably intact and retains early fabric and 19th century window shutters with prices painted on the windows. The large shop interior retains some of its early details and shop fittings including counters and shelving.