What is significant?
'Edrington', designed by Klingender & Alsop and constructed in 1906, at 134 High Street, Berwick.
How is it significant?
'Edrington' is of local historic, aesthetic and scientific (horticultural) significance to the City of Casey. It is also of historic and aesthetic significance to the State of Victoria.
Why is it significant?
Historically, 'Edrington' is significant for its associations with the early pastoral history of colonial Victoria. Its first owner, the squatter Robert Gardiner, was the earliest and most important run holder within Berwick City boundaries. The remaining brick cottage and stone barn, built in the 1860s or earlier, dates from the Gardiner ownership. Other notable owners included the pastoralist Samuel MacKay, who commissioned the construction of the 1906 homestead (then known as Melville Park); the grazier Andrew S. Chirnside, who renamed the property; and, more recently, Lord and Lady Casey. The Caseys were both distinguished Australians. Lord Casey earned distinction in the fields of government, diplomacy and administration, while his wife Lady Casey was a well known author, artist and aviator.
Aesthetically, 'Edrington' is architecturally significant as an important Arts and Crafts bungalow mansion that is a prime example of the innovative designs of the architectural practice of Klingender and Alsop. The 1906 design is one of the earliest examples of the Vernacular Revival style which was to become popular for suburban residences over the next twenty years. Internally, features of the entrance foyer, bathroom and old kitchen are intact and are good examples of the period. The garden, also believed to date from c1906, provides an authentic setting.
Several plantings are significant, including a specimen of Cedrus deodara (Deodar Cedar) and Araucaria bidwillii (Bunya Bunya Pine), of state and regional significance respectively, plus several trees which are considered to be of local aesthetic, scientific and historic significance.
An assessment of the formal garden during this study, describes many of the species as dating from around the 1880s. Particular specimens of importance include a spectacular multi-stemmed Cedrus deodara (Deodar Cedar) of probable state significance for aesthetic reasons, and a large Araucaria bidwillii (Bunya Bunya Pine) of regional significance for its size and contribution to the landscape. Several trees have been identified as having local significance as relatively rare or good examples of their type, including: Araucaria cuninghamii (Hoop Pine or Moreton Bay Pine); Pseudotsuga menziesii (Douglas Fir); Agathis robusta (Queensland Kauri); Macadamia integrifolia (Macadamia) Ulmus carpinifolia (Smooth Leaved Elm - variegated); Pinus canariensis (Canary Island Pine); Pinus roxburgii (Long leaved Indian Pine); Cassine crocea (Saffron Cassine); and Quercus canarensis (Algerian Oak). In addition to these plantings, a group of Pinus canariensis (Canary Island Pine) situated in a plantation off the highway, reputed to have been planted by James Gibb, is also of local significance for aesthetic and historic reasons.