What is significant?
St Peter's Church of England, designed by Louis Williams and constructed by A Moore in 1938, at 46 Baxter-Tooradin Road, Pearcedale.
How is it significant?
St Peter's Church of England, Pearcedale, is of local historic and social significance to the City of Casey.
Why is it significant?
Historically and socially, it is significant as the a key public building in Pearcedale and illustrates the development of the township in the inter-war period, which was associated with closer settlement in this area. It is now the only place of worship still in use in Pearcedale and has strong associations with the local community as a meeting place that has played an important role in the development of the community for over 60 years. It is also of interest as a church designed by noted architect, Louis Williams. (AHC criteria A4, D2 and G1)
St Peter's Church Of England - Physical Description 1
The St Peter's Church of England complex comprises two buildings, the church and a small portable building, located on a prominent triangular corner site in Pearcedale. The site is bounded by the Baxter-Tooradin Road (Lanarch Road) and Queens Road and is located at the junction of these roads with Pearcedale Road. At the rear of the church property is the adjoining curate's house.
St Peter's Church of England is a small simple gabled timber church with a gabled porch and sacristy. Although constructed in 1938, the church is typical of small country timber Carpenter Gothic churches built in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
The church has a corrugated galvanised steel roof (reclad) with plain timber bargeboards. Each of the gable ends are mounted with small timber crucifixes. The pointed arch windows on the north-west and south-east elevation (along the nave) are located within rectangular timber frameworks and feature coloured glass panels.
The church was unsympathetically extended in c.1990 at the southern corner to include a single-storey timber toilet and kitchen block with a skillion corrugated galvanised steel roof and a small verandah with square section timber posts.
With the exception of the timber addition at the rear, St Peter's Church of England is relatively intact and is in good condition. The original section of the church appears to have had recent maintenance works done. The skillion-roofed addition is only in fair condition, although structurally sound, and requires maintenance, including painting.
At the rear of the church is a small single-storey portable building, akin to a c.1970s classroom, which currently houses the Op Shop. This small weatherboard building is square in plan with a shallow gabled roof. It has strip windows along the side elevations and a smaller window at the front, with an entrance marked by a lean-to verandah (addition). This building is in good condition and, with the exception of the lean-to verandah, is substantially intact.