The land on which 'Green Hills' stands was originally taken up in 1840by Matthew Gibb on behalf of Captain Swanston. Thereafter it passed through the hands of several owners including Edward Bell, Private Secretary and acting Aide-de-Comp to Governor Charles Latrobe. In 1843, the property became known by its current name. In 1872, under new owner John Ware, a house designed by architect Alfred Louis Smith was built. Smith was the architect for the Melbourne Law Courts.