Stony Point Station was taken up by Matthew Hall in 1844. In 1849 John Cumming, a Scots pioneer who had earlier established breweries at Melbourne (1838) and Geelong (1844), acquired the run and erected a four room stone house with verandah and kitchen wing. In 1878 son Thomas erected extensive additions, possibly to the design of local architect Andrew Keer.
Stony Point pastoral station is one of three homesteads in the Darlington district acquired in the 1850s by noted pioneer John Cumming, and subsequently developed as successful sheep stations by his descendants. The Italianate style homestead which includes the original stone house is typical of Western District architecture of the 1870s and is most notable for the unusual harled facades, accentuated quoins, iron verandah and northern entrance portico.
Stony Point homestead has been preserved virtually intact. The exterior stone fabric of the original house has been painted white.