The historic pastoral property "West Cloven Hills" was established in 1842 following division of a larger run earlier leased in 1837 by pioneer settlers Peter McArthur and Nicholas Cole. Cole built the present Colonial Georgian style homestead of locally quarried basalt with attic dormers, prominent stone gables, and encircling timber verandah prior to 1851 on a site under the slopes of Mount Koang, a Western District landmark.
"West Cloven Hills" pastoral lease was established in 1842 by resolute Victorian pioneer Nicholas Cole and the surviving stone homestead is reportedly the oldest in the central Western District. The property is one of few pastoral properties in Victoria still inthe possession of descendants of the original pioneer settlers. "West ClovenHills" is an outstanding and intact illustration of the early Western District homestead style, and of national importance to Australia's architectural heritage.
Although "West Cloven Hills" has been vacant for many years, the property is reasonably maintained and in sound condition. Of national significance.