Talindert, near Camperdown, was erected in 1890 for James C. Manifold M.L.C., son of district pioneer John Mainfold, following subdivision of the historic Mainfold family property "Purrumbete" into four separate holdings. The 33 room two storey stucco and brick mansion was designed by Colac architect, Alex Hamilton, and extended in 1907 by architect, Gyyon Purchas.
Talindert was for 28 years the residence of J C Mainfold, public benefactor, politician, and influential pioneer of the dairying industry in western Victoria. The traditional Italianate style mansion is characteristic of the late career practice of architect Hamilton and one of his largest and most important works. It was rivaled only by Wooriwyrite (1883) and the adjacent Mainfold homestead ,Wiridgil, of 1891. The wide encircling cast iron verandah by Cochrane and Scott is a distinctive feature usually associated with Melbourne mansion houses.
Talindert homestead and stables are virtually intact and maintained in near original condition. Cast iron brackets to the upper level balcony verandah have been removed.
Classified: Local: 03/08/1998
File note 07/07/2012:G13115 Talindert Garden amalgamated and filed with B1134.