Erected in 1863 by the Public Works Department, the drawings being executed by J J Clark, under the Chief Architect W W Wardell.
One of the finer of the small provincial court houses erected in Victoria during the nineteenth century, epitomising the architecture of the P.W.D. before 1880, the building is simply conceived around a large court room, expressed in the overall composition by a dominating gabled form. Offices and vestibules are carefully arranged around this principal room. The resulting satisfactory composition is enhanced by the fine brickwork decoration to the main gable, the vertical timber gables to the flanking vestibules and narrow windows. The Court House is constructed of locally made bricks and stands on a stone base.