Settlement of the Strathfieldsaye run on Lake Wellington was effected by New South Wales grazier William O'Dell Raymond in 1842. He obtained pre-emptive right in 1854 and built the first homestead section of timber, weatherboard, corregated iron and hand made bricks in a graceful colonial vernacular style mostly enhanced by the encircling verandah and regency derived joinery. W H Disher developed the present complex from 1869-1879.
Strathfieldsaye homestead is the oldest continuously inhabited house in Gippsland and is essentially as it was in 1879, and as the noted Disher family left it after 110 years of occupation. The complex of farm buildings, including selector Hartwicke's hut of mud and slab, is a superb continuum of Victorian colonial building traditions. Strathfieldsaye had a close relationship with the significant Morivian Aboriginal mission established on the run in 1862.
The landscape quality of the property is paramount.
Strathfieldsaye homestead complex was bequeathed to the University of Melbourne in 1976 and was progressively restored as a working property and research station. It is now owned by the Australian Landscape Trust. The various farm buildings and homestead are intact.
Classified: September, 1959