1 sacred heart convent & college retreat rd newtown front view
Statement of Significance
Last updated on - June 22, 1999
The Sacred Heart Convent of Mercy was established in 1859-60 in a large colonial single storey mansion house `Sunville' erected C 1850 for J W Belcher, and acquired by the Catholic Church in 1855. JL Shaw, Geelong architect, designed the original orphanage building in 1864 and the boarding school of 1869, with the new convent building being erected 1872-74 to designs by noted church architect, TA Kelly. This complex of buildings, mainly of bluestone with Barrabool freestone dressings, is one of the finest convents in Victoria suitably styled in the Gothic Revival traditions and with important associations with the foundation of Catholic education in Victoria.