The Windsor Railway Station Complex includes station buildings and a footbridge. It was constructed in 1885-86 of polychromatic brick, and features paired round arched windows, a truncated hip roof, eaves consoles and prominent chimney stacks. A capped brick wall and a footbridge supported on cast iron columns with decorative brackets are also part of this substantial railway complex.
How is it significant?
The Windsor Railway Station Complex is of architectural and historical significance to the State of Victoria.
Why is it significant?
The Windsor Railway Station Complex is of architectural significance as one of the finest examples of a suburban railway station in Melbourne. While the individual elements and details of the buildings such as the eaves brackets, brickwork patterns, broken gables and chimney stacks are attractive and well executed, the complex draws its chief architectural significance from the massing of the buildings and structures, with the ramps, stairways, overhead bridge and verandahs creating a dramatic overall effect.
The Windsor Railway Station Complex is of historical significance as a remnant manifestation of the late-19th century land boom expansion of railways in Victoria. Throughout Melbourne suburban expansion rapidly accompanied the provision of railway lines, and stations like Windsor clearly reveal the importance of the railways to the 19th century city. Windsor was an important station on the Brighton Line, being close to Chapel Street and Dandenong Road and having for a long time its own sidings. The substantial character of the complex is indicative of the considerable investment and pride that went into Melbourne's 19th century railway structures.