Vacuum Oil Company Ltd Depot (former), Hobsons Bay Heritage Study 2006
Statement of Significance
What is Significant?
The Vacuum Oil Company Ltd Depot (now Mobil Yarraville Terminal) comprising the Refined and Lube Oil Store and Refined Oil Drum Filling and Store (formerly Refined Oil and Case Storage Buildings No 1 and No 2), Lube and Grease Packaging Hall (formerly the Lube Oil building), Garage (formerly the Mechanical building), Welders shop and one riveted oil tank all originally constructed between 1925 and 1930, at 29 Francis Street, Yarraville.
How is it Significant?
The Vacuum Oil Company Ltd Depot (former) is of local historic and technical significance to the City of Hobsons Bay.
Why is it Significant?
Historically, it is significant for its strong associations with the early development of the oil industry in Melbourne as one of the earliest oil terminals in Melbourne that was established by a firm, which was a pioneer of the oil industry in Australia. The surviving brick buildings and at least one riveted storage tank demonstrate the beginnings of the bulk storage and integrated oil and fuel distribution system, which Vacuum Oil developed in the 1920s. The complexis one of a number of surviving early oil facilities that demonstrate the importance of the Newport and Spotswood area as the one of the major centres in the early development of the industry in Australia. (AHC criterion A4, B2 and D2)
Technically, it is significant as a rare example of an early complex, which comprises purpose designed building forms that demonstrate the processes used in the package and distribution of the first packaged oil and fuel products, prior to bulk filling and distribution. (AHC criterion B2 and F1).