The Former Congregational Church, Black Street, Brighton was constructed in 1875 to the design of architect Charles Webb. The church was constructed by builder jams Bonham on the site of a previous timber church.
The building is tuckpointed using black and cream bricks with a minimum of reds.
The exterior is intact except for the vestry addition at the rear.
The interior of the buildings contains a sloping timber floor, timber screens and pews and a central pulpit. The ceiling is exposed varnished pine lining supported by king post trusses. The walls are painted render with a stencilled dado border and paint finished mouldings to windows and door openings.
The church contains an intact Fincham organ.
The building is a substantially intact structure with finely executed detailing and is one of a small number of intact, extant Webb churches in Melbourne. The entry is marked by a memorial lych-gate constructed in 1954 and a large Moreton Bay fig tree thought to have been grown from seedlings supplied by the horticulturalist Dr Ferdinand von Mueller.