The Pines, Brighton including a concrete house with rear brick and timber sections and two associated concrete outbuildings at the rear of the property.
The Pines, Brighton was constructed in 1866 by local builder and dairyman William Durrant on land he owned in the Brighton Estate, between Middle and Outer Crescent. This estate, which was set out in crescent form by H B Foot c.1842 as part of the Dendy Special Survey village, was developed in the 1860s. By 1861 prolific local builder, William Durrant, had purchased 10 acres of land between Outer and Middle Crescent and built seven cottages. The Pines was the second in a sequence of larger concrete houses also built on this land by Durrant, and the first occupant was the squatter, Frank W Desailly. By 1872 The Pines was being used as a school known as Brighton College and it appears that a timber addition was constructed at the rear for this purpose. This school was initially conducted by John MacVean, then John Batten until 1881, and finally Arthur Backhouse until c.1883. Subsequently The Pines was used as a private residence until its acquisition in 2014 by Firbank Grammar School.
The Pines, Brighton is a concrete house with a hipped slate roof and brick and timber sections at the rear. It is a mid-Victorian Italianate villa with rendered walls which are lightly scribed to imitate ashlar construction. It has moulded chimney caps, quoined front corners, a central front door and tall paired double hung windows on either side. A concave roofed front verandah has been modified with a replacement frame, concrete floor and turned posts. The eaves have an unusual continuous rendered under-mould. The interior of the main house has a timber floor, plastered walls and ceilings, deep cornices and deep timber window reveals. At the rear of the main house are two sections, one of brick construction and a later addition to the west is of timber construction. To the rear of the property are two concrete outbuildings with corrugated iron roofs. It is recorded that the concrete used to form the walls of the house and outbuildings comprised of lime to bind sand and stones from the nearby foreshore. This was rammed in layers before a rendered finish was applied.
This site is part of the traditional land of the Boonwarrung people.
How is it significant?
The Pines, Brighton is of historical and scientific significance to the State of Victoria. It satisfies the following criteria for inclusion in the Victorian Heritage Register:
Possession of uncommon, rare or endangered aspects of Victoria's cultural history.
Importance in demonstrating a high degree of creative or technical achievement at a particular period.
Why is it significant?
The Pines, Brighton is significant at the State level for the following reasons:
The Pines, Brighton is significant as a rare, early and intact example of the use of formed concrete construction. Very few buildings were constructed in Victoria as early as the 1860s using this building technique and there are even fewer that remain to illustrate the unusual and early use of formed concrete, using lime to bind sand and stones from the nearby foreshore, rammed in layers. The concrete house, with two concrete outbuildings, is an outstanding example of the early use of formed concrete in Victoria. [Criterion B & F]
The Pines, Brighton is also significant for the following reasons, but not at the State level:
The Pines, Brighton has a clear association with the development of the Dendy Special Survey village (the Brighton Estate). It is one of the earliest extant buildings in this estate which was laid out in crescent form by H B Foot c.1842 and developed in the 1860s.