A grandiose late Victorian boom style town hall complex consisting of former library, former post and telegraph offices, municipal offices, court house and town hall.
The main west facing facade is symmetrical about a central portico surmounted by a three staged tower and French Second Empire style zinc sheeted roof and cast iron lace balustrade with flag pole. Flanking pavilions have similar fish scale slated' roofs with windows and are separate. by means of colonnaded recessed wings. The secondary Stanton Street facade is also Palladian with flanking pavilions and with central pedimented town hall entrance surmounted by the Royal coat of arms.
Inside, the hall and lobby have been rebuilt in the Art Deco style although. the cast iron balcony railings and ceiling survive.
Significant 1934-5 internal changes designed by A C Leith & Associates/ Leith & Bartlett Ward.