Park House has significance as an intact, relatively large house, built very early in the development of South Melbourne. The solidity of its fabric, being masonry rather than timber, was relatively unusual in South Melbourne at that time and adds to the significance. Its association with Lowe Kong Meng and Sir JB. Patterson enhances the significance.
Park House, a two storey attic residence at No 352 Moray Street, South Melbourne, was constructed in 1856, with further additions in 1857, for John Carmichael. The distinctly Georgian style, axially planned, rendered brick structure, was erected without adornment save for the characteristic six pane window sashes, pronounced quoins, diagonal fan-lights and hair-pin pattern iron fence later integrated into a two storey iron balcony verandah addition.
Park House one of the oldest surviving houses in South Melbourne and of architectural importance as a comparatively rare example of the simple Georgian style house in Victoria, is closely related to and derivative of the colonial architectural traditions of New South Wales and Tasmania. No significant historical associations have been established. Park House, South Melbourne, is little altered externally since erection and is in virtually intact condition.
Of State significance.
[Source: compiled from the Register of the National Estate and the Conservation Study]