Heritage Inventory History of Site: The New Adventure tunnel and tail-race was cut by Griffiths and party, through a high rocky bluff known as Frenchman's Hill, on Livingstone Creek opposite Omeo township, in 1868. By diverting the creek waters through their 'extensive' tunnel, the party was able to re-work a large section of the best part of the creek bed. In 1870 the New Adventure claim was in abeyance, but work re-started after it was bought by a Chinese party. Disastrous floods in 1871 levelled most of the creek claims, but the damage was repaired and the New Adventure was the premier alluvial ground on Livingstone Creek in 1872. No further reference was found to the New Adventure claim and tunnel, but large-scale sluicing operations on Livingstone Creek continued until early this century.
NEW ADVENTURE CO DIVERSION SLUICE - Interpretation of Site
2020 Site Card submitted: The analysis of the site remains unchanged from the original site listing (H8423-0002) however the location was incorrectly mapped. Please see attached maps for correct location.
NEW ADVENTURE CO DIVERSION SLUICE - Heritage Inventory Description
2020 Site Card submitted: The New Adventure tunnel and tail-race runs across the narrow area at a horseshoe bend of Livingstone Creek through a high rocky bluff known as Frenchman’s Hill, on Livingstone Creek opposite Omeo township. The diversion consists of a 20 metre long cutting and a 75 metre long tunnel. The tunnel and tail-race were cut by Griffiths and party, for the New Adventure Mining co. through a high rocky bluff known as Frenchman's Hill in 1868. The tunnel allowed the mining of a large section of the creek bed. Mining had ceased by 1870, but work re-started after it was bought by a Chinese party. Note that the mapping for the site on the Victorian Heritage Inventory is incorrect and places it about 200 metres north of its actual site and should be updated as part of this study. A concrete regulating structure has been constructed over the tunnel entrance which runs of the town swimming hole. This includes a walkway across the top. Foot paths and vehicle tracks from footbridges and fords across the creek converge at the top of the ridge adjacent to the tunnel outlet and tail race. A timber post and rail fence is constructed around the top of the tail race cut, which has a steep drop of about 15 metres. There are also a number of deep shafts in the area opposite the township on the west side of Livingstone Creek as well as large areas of sluiced ground. 75m long tunnel and 20m long cutting. The tunnel can be blocked off and the large pool at its entrance used as the town's swimming pool.Heritage Inventory Significance: RegionalScientific significance?intactnessSocial value?swimming pool