SD 134 - Queen Mary Gardens & Angwin Memorial Gates, Napier Street corner Inkerman Street, ST ARNAUD
Statement of Significance
The Queen Mary Gardens and Angwin Memorial Gates, 1-9 Napier Street, St. Arnaud, make a highly significant aesthetic and visual contribution to the predominantly Victorian and Federation streetscape. Established in 1884, the gardens were laid out in 1889 and were situated on the former St. Arnaud water reserve that had been created in 1864. The Gardens have significance as a 19th century, predominantly intact cultural landscape in the centre of the St. Arnaud township.
The Queen Mary Gardens and Angwin Memorial Gates are aesthetically significant at a LOCAL level. They demonstrate original visual and design qualities which include the open lawn areas with isolated mature exotic broadleaf and coniferous trees; garden beds of annuals; rose bed; perennials with a border of annuals; ornamental pond; wide and deep stormwater drain; wide, well maintained gravel paths; and the ornamental front gates of bluestone and cast iron.
The Queen Mary Gardens and Angwin Memorial Gates are historically significant at a LOCAL level. They are associated with the early development of the Gardens from 1884-89 to the present day. These Gardens are situated on the former St. Arnaud water reserve that had been created in 1864. The Gardens also have possible associations with William Guilfoyle, Director of the Royal Botanical Gardens, Melbourne, who may have acted in an advisory capacity. The site is also associated with the Angwin Memorial Gates that were erected about the turn of the century.
The Queen Mary Gardens and Angwin Memorial Gates are socially significant at a LOCAL level. They are recognised as having public value by the St. Arnaud community as an important recreational and landscape area, and for commemorate reasons respectively.
Overall, the Queen Mary Gardens and Angwin Memorial Gates are of LOCAL significance.